Thursday, June 1, 2017

Hey June!

Apparently May slipped by without me noticing, at least as far as my blog is concerned. Which means there is lots of catching up I need to do. Knitting seems like a good place to start...




:: There's always sock knitting on the go around here. On the left are the Apple Blossom socks by Curious Handmade. And on the right are some of my plain vanilla socks, made special by the fact they were knit with some lovely self-striping yarn from the Knitting Goddess out of the UK.




:: In the better late than never category, this is Oliver's birthday sweater. I did manage to cast on the day of his birthday, but didn't actually manage to get the sweater to him until last week. I really enjoyed knitting this pattern, which is the Alaskan Pullover. What I didn't enjoy was making the twisted cord. I went through a third of a skein of yarn before I got something that was passable. It was a rather low moment in my crafting life.




:: If you had told me a couple years ago that I would become a shawl knitter I would have laughed at you. I'm hopeless at doing lace, and am lace chart challenged. But then along came Helen Stewart from Curious Handmade, and her brilliant row by row percentage method of writing up patterns. This is the Fairyhill Shawl, the first shawl in her Shawl Society, Season Two. It was a joy to knit.




:: This past month was Me Made May, and it was my first time participating. I was surprised to find I have enough handmade items now that I could post on Instagram on a regular basis. What I hadn't taken into account was how awkward it was going to feel to keep putting up pictures of myself. Above is just a sampling from the month. This is the Cleo Dungaree dress by Tilly and the Buttons. I was especially pleased with the back pockets, not that I'll ever see them when I'm wearing the jumper.




:: My latest crafting endeavour has been to make Peg People. My plan is that these will be here for Lucy, Ella, and Oliver (once he's old enough to not eat them) to play with when they come to visit. This is the Gnome Family, and there are a couple moss covered tree stumps behind our cottage than should provide the perfect home for them.




:: The twisted cord for Oliver's sweater wasn't my only recent fail. I tried my hand at fermenting, and the first attempt yielded a jar of moldy carrots. Not quite what I was hoping for to say the least. This is my second attempt. It's early days, so I have no idea if these are going to turn out. I'm trying to remain optimistic. If you have any fermenting wisdom to share I would be very grateful.

:: On the ferry ride home from Victoria last week I was knitting away on the striped socks in the picture above. I decided to get up and walk around a bit to get some steps on my Fitbit. I couldn't believe it when I glanced in the mirror in the bathroom and saw my spare sock needle sticking out of my hair. I wonder what people thought as I kept walking in a circular route through the seating area with a needle sticking out of my head.

:: Similar things happen here at home too. When I was painting the peg people out on my back deck a few days ago Fergus needed to be walked. It wasn't until I got him on his leash and was heading down our street that I realized I was still wearing the apron I had put on to keep from getting paint on my clothes.




:: This next bit I am very excited about. This is the very beginnings of a trail that will eventually go along all of Cultus Lake. The first section has been put in, and is just down the road from our cottage.




:: I'll sign off with my favourite view. I see this multiple times a week when I walk to the lake, and it never grows old. Mt. Cheam is in the distance, with its snow-capped peak a glorious white against the backdrop of the blue sky. And in the foreground is Frosst Creek flowing into Cultus Lake. In the fall the salmon make their way up this stream. I hope your June is off to a great start!

33 comments:

  1. Love Oliver's sweater. What yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used the Rowan DK Superwash. I love the Rowan superwash yarn, both the worsted and the DK weight, for knitting kids' stuff. It holds up really well, and can go in the machine on a gentle wash.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful projects! The sweater is so cute :)
    One of my goals this year is to learn to sew and finally make some garments. So hopefully I'll be able to join memademay next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to get started on sewing this year. I had the same goal a couple years ago, and have slowly built up my handmade wardrobe. It's very nice to be able to make what I want to wear rather than having to buy what the stores are selling, which is often not to my taste.

      Delete
  3. Your last picture is gorgeous! Lucky you to have a trail so nearby. Oliver's sweater is great. And, the sock yarn from the Knitting Goddess is so pretty - love the pop of bright green in it. I've been known to walk around with knitting needles in my hair (among other things) - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky indeed, especially since it isn't the only trail nearby. It's one of the advantages of living right next to a provincial park! I'm glad I'm not the only one who walks around with needles in their hair. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kristie! It's so nice to see what you've been up to. Your knitting looks great and I love the jumper. I think it looks so cute on you. I hope you have a nice summer ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! After the winter and spring we endured here in BC, I think everyone has their fingers crossed for a nice summer. :-)

      Delete
  5. That can't be as bad as going out with a curler in your bangs as I have done! And this was when I was younger, so I can't blame old age. Love your knitting projects. Still in awe, as a non-knitter. And that new path looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it was a tie with the curler incident. :-)

      Delete
  6. Love your knitting but I red to make gnomes for garden too. Are they wood? And, where can I purchase them? Did you use acrylic paint? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The gnomes are made from wooden pegs. I ordered them from Amazon. I think many Waldorf type stores would carry them as well. And yes, I used acrylic paint. I stocked up when Michael's had a sale. They are lots of fun to make, and there are many ideas on Pinterest. Also, there's a great book I use called Making Peg Dolls.

      Delete
  7. Fermenting tip: be sure your carrots are fully submerged. Also keep them far from any mold source, compost containers, trash, etc. some white stuff on the surface is ok. Apparently it is yeast. I just rinse it off. Anything colored is bad. Mold I mean. Good luck with this batch. I love my fermented foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fermenting tips! Now I'm wondering if what was on my first batch was yeast. Oh well, this time around I'll know it's okay if they have some white stuff on them. :-)

      Delete
  8. I love that sweater with the red tie! that is sharp and stylish :) time is a flying these days, isn't it? I find myself checking the calendar and wondering where the days go?? ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy with the pattern. I think the time flying thing, at least in my case, has something to do with getting older. :-)

      Delete
  9. I worked with a woman who used a pencil to anchor her bun in her hair...the students got a great kick out of that and it became her trademark...why not use a knitting needle?
    At a recent lunch out I got some spinach stuck in my front teeth and no one told me...I was chatting and laughing and when I went to the ladies room I was gobsmacked when I looked in the mirror!!!!
    Those socks are beautiful...I must take a class this Fall and learn how to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed at your spinach story. We've all had that kind of thing happen and it is very embarrassing! Knitting socks is great fun once you catch on to the techniques for turning the heel, etc. It makes for excellent travel knitting because it doesn't take up much space. It would work well when you are out on your boat.

      Delete
  10. Such great projects I loved them all but was impressed with the peg people and such a good idea to have them ready for when the children visit. I may steal that idea if you don't mind, such a lovely project. It may be something the older ones could do for themselves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peg people were great fun to make. There's a really nice book called Making Peg Dolls, and that's where I got the idea for the gnomes. There are lots of great ideas on Pinterest too! Please post a picture of yours if you end up making them. :-)

      Delete
  11. I was walking around with a DPN stuck in the sleeve of my sweater. Someone pointed it out. Those peg dolls are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this experience! At least when the needle is stuck in hair there's little chance of losing it. You're lucky it didn't fall out of your sweater as you were walking along. :-)

      Delete
  12. So many lovely things, Kristie. The socks are splendid, and I love the Apple ones best. You must be so quick with those knitting needles, because the lace shawl looks wonderful, must have taken an age. Oliver's sweater too - very cute. So funny re the needle in your hair - I sometimes go out with sewing pins on my clothing, picked up and absently popped out of harm's way...
    I found out the name of the shop in London you must visit for Liberty fabric. It is Shaukat, on Old Brompton Road. They also have lovely non-Liberty of equal beauty. Happy Weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! That's funny you do the same thing with sewing pins. :-)

      And thank you for the tip about the place to shop for Liberty fabric. I've made a note of it on my phone for when I go in September.

      Delete
  13. It was great to see your newest blog entry. I enjoyed the pictures and descriptions of your knitting, sewing, crafting, and fermenting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's one advantage to not having blogged for a month. I had a lot to share!

      Delete
  14. What a busy month May was for you! I am always amazed how much creativity you manage to cram into your days, and make so many beautiful things. I am particularly fond of the peg people. We don't have children young enough anymore so it is with some nostalgia that I am admiring your little people. Fermenting is quite challenging I think, not that I have tried but I trained as a microbiologist. It is tricky to get the conditions just right, so that the product is fermented and not rotten. Keeping my fingers crossed for your current attempt xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm able to cram so much into my days because I'm at the stage of life where I no longer have five children living at home. Trust me, there used to be very little creativity happening around here in my active parenting days. I'm always impressed by how much sewing and knitting you manage! :-)

      Delete
  15. I'm not surprised you haven't had time for blogging with everything you have been doing! I love Oliver's jumper and your shawl. I had to smile at your walks with a knitting needle and apron! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Yes, blogging seems to have taken a back seat to all the other things I've had on the go. The problem with that is then it's hard to get caught up again once I sit down to write another post!

      Delete
  16. Wonderful creations--but I especially like the shawl and peg people. Those will be family heirlooms and Oliver's sweater should be too. The cord turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kristie,
    Thinking of you and wishing you a Happy Holiday Season! I miss your posts about you life: hiking, knitting, cooking, your lovely family, etc. Hope all is well and we'll have you back soon!
    Best Wishes,
    Erin in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my blog. I hadn't really meant to stop blogging. Time just sort of slipped away, and before I knew it I was off on my holiday in September. Then, while I was away, we had a tragedy occur in our family and I had to return. Since I've been back I just haven't had the heart or the head space to blog. But I feel reluctant to shut the blog down. I have made so many great friends here over the years. So at this point I'm not sure what is going to happen to this space. But it really means a lot to me to know that you cared enough to leave a comment. I hope you have a very lovely holiday season, and that the New Year brings you much joy.

      Delete