Saturday, January 14, 2017

Deep Winter

I realize I am in the minority when I say this, but I love winter. I now live in a place that experiences very little winter, and I have to confess to missing snow covered trees, the crunching sound snow makes as you walk on it on a cold day, and the quiet stillness that happens after a big snowfall. So for me this winter, where we have actually experienced all of those things for the past month, has been a treat.




We have an indoor/outdoor weather gauge that not only tells you the temperature and weather forecast, it actually shows you what to expect. You can see my weather guy is bundled up in a scarf, toque and mittens, the cloud is dark black meaning we can expect a lot of precipitation, and there are snowflakes coming out of the cloud. Yippee! Snow instead of rain!




I always find January to be a bit of an odd month. I enjoy that tucked in feeling it gives me. It's the month, more than any other, I have the most success in slowing down, taking time to read the books and magazines that have been piling up, and spending time just being. Holiday preparations are in the past, and gardening and other active pursuits are in the future. I need to find a way to continue these moments of stillness throughout the year.




The weather might be cold (this week we've had overnight temperatures of -10 C), and the roads and paths are very icy, but I still make a point of spending time outdoors each day. I use Yak Trax to stay safe when I walk, and, possibly no surprise here, I have lots of woolly handknits to bundle up in to keep me warm.



Our holiday guests have all left, but that doesn't mean we haven't had daily visitors. The family of raccoons Jay rescued from the recycling bins last fall come by every day to say thanks. Fergus goes absolutely crazy when they show up, but that doesn't seem to deter them.


Flax by Tincanknits

Here are a few of my Christmas knits. I made Lucy and Ella matching Flax sweaters. This is such a great pattern! It's free, and there are two versions, one for worsted weight yarn, which is what I did, and the other for fingering weight.


Gramps by Tincanknits

Oliver's sweater is another Tincanknits pattern called Gramps. This might just be my favourite knit so far for my grandchildren. Those elbow patches, the pockets, the shawl collar... I'm pretty sure I'll be knitting Oliver another one in a bigger size at some point. The pipe and Prince Albert tobacco tin are not Oliver's. They belonged to my Grandpa. :-)

Our winter is forecast to come to an end Monday. Warm weather and rain will be returning. I will be putting my Yak tax and down jacket away, but I have this one last weekend of snow and ice and cold and all things Deep Winter to enjoy, and I intend to make the most of it. I'm hoping you are having a good weekend too, no matter what the weather!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful knits, the Grandpa sweater is a real delight he is such a little handsome fella. The snow came and went and was all over in minutes, the predicted tidal surge was not as bad as anticipated here in the UK so all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is so beautiful. I miss it here in Florida. We are up near 80 today, I like it a lot cooler. Love your beautiful family knits my freind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of really cold winters or snow, but I do appreciate our mild winter weather that is a welcome change from our long, hot, humid summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Kristie, we now have "Deep Winter"!!! My ice picks have had quite a workout! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a West Coast girl - I miss the rain and wind and am done with the cold and snow! ;-) Love Flax, I've looked at it before and I think you have convinced me that a 4 year old in my life needs one (he has 'suggested' I should make him a sweater...). Glad you are getting out and about safely (another downside to lingering cold on the west coast, our communities are not so prepared and so our streets and sidewalks become quite treacherous. Even the beach sand is frozen for goodness sake!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love winter too! And I know so many people affected by SAD or physical stuff that makes the cold hard for them, so I feel a little weird being too public about it. But oh man a snow day is the best, at least when you don't have to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that cute raccoon face is adorable...as are your grand children.
    Your knits are also very impressive, but I do not share your love of the cold....
    it hampers my Mother's ability to get out and I like to walk at least 5km every day and have been too cold to do more than about 3km...
    Enjoy the deep freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knitting is all, as always!, most beautiful! I am sure that the children must love wearing the things you make them. I can understand why you would like the snow, because you are in a place that is set up for it. The reason that I don't like snow is because it causes such chaos here, when I lived somewhere that was used to snow it was fine. Hope you have had fun with the snow and will have fun when it goes too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a beautiful sweater on Oliver, and called Gramps! That is what our Canadian grandies call HB, and he loves it. Oliver is the cutest little guy and looks adorable in it. I have never heard of Yak Trax, but on investigation they are a wonderful idea. If it is snowing next time we go over there, it would be an excellent idea for the two of us to have them. Last time we were walking in snow, there were a fell tumbles on the ice! Even the raccoon looks cute in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss proper winters, too. Here on the west coast of Scotland it is rainy and windy for most of the winter. Someone mentioned SAD in the comments. I think it is more of a problem with rain and wind, snow seems to brighten even the dullest days up. Beautiful knitting! I just saw your new jumper on Instagram, will go and look for it on Ravelry now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful knits!
    I don't think I could live a place without winter. Our winter so far has been weird with warmer temperatures and more rain than normal. Hopefully we'll get a big snowfall soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have both those patterns and as yet have not got round to making them. Yours have inspired me. I know what you mean about those winter months when the only thing to do is put your feet up and know that the garden isn't calling, enjoy, it won't last long

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love winter, too. We have only had a few snowfalls, but at least we have snow on the ground. The problem with climate change is that we have a lot of days where the temperatures hover around freezing, causing lots of ice to form.
    Beautiful knits for your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love winter, too! It seemed to start off on a bang where we live (right, Caffeine Girl?) but now it's warm and sloppy outside, which is unusual. I want more snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just got one of those indoor/outdoor weather gadgets but ours doesn't have a guy showing us how we should dress for the day ! I love the sweaters you knitted, but the one for Oliver is over-the-top darling. I'd love to have one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elbow patches!!! So cool. Winter should be cold, with occasional snow. I hope you get another hour or two before spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't type "hour"! It should have been "storm". Wow, whatever I did type, it was asking too much of spellcheck to correct it.

      Delete
  17. The snow has vanished in my part of Ontario and it's a dull day. I, too, enjoy a snowy, bright winter. On the other hand, it's nice that I don't have to shovel out the foot of the driveway after a plow has gone by! You're knitting is beautiful. I especially like the Gramps sweater.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can just imagine Fergus reaction to the racoons, I'm glad we don't have any visiting here! Your winter gauge looks fun! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete