Friday, December 9, 2016

Frozen Friday

Brrr...! We are in the midst of an Arctic outflow, which has meant high winds and very cold temperatures. Today it is a bit milder and we have snow, which makes me very happy. Well, mostly happy. I was supposed to go to Victoria today to visit Lucy and Oliver, but had to cancel because of the forecast snow. I grew up in Northern Idaho, lived way up north in Fort St. John for six years, spent many years in the Kootenays, and most recently resided in Kamloops. All of these places experience Winter. I know how to drive on snowy roads and in extreme winter conditions. I don't like to do it, but will if I have to.

Which brings me to the Lower Mainland of BC. There's a reason it's the laughingstock of Canada when it comes to snow. All it takes to paralyze Vancouver is half an inch of the white stuff. Last week a bit of snow fell and a university completely shut down, two bridges had chunks of ice falling off the overhead structures, damaging dozens of cars, and the Sky Train had to shut down because the snow on the tracks kept setting off alarms. This is how I would expect a place like Hawaii or Costa Rica to function if they got hit by snow. Not somewhere in the Great White North. My writing skills aren't well honed enough to adequately describe what being on the road with the drivers here is like. But the fact that in spite of over four decades of accumulated experience driving in winter conditions I felt it necessary to cancel my trip to Victoria should give you an idea of just how bad it is.

It's been several weeks since I last wrote a post. That's not been for lack of things to blog about. I have been knitting at every available moment, and have many finished items, and a few soon to be finished ones, to show you. However, they are all Christmas gifts, so this post is going to be sans knitting. Instead you are going to get a bit of randomness, along with some pictures of winter settling in in my neck of the woods.



:: I was driving home at dusk this past week and when I saw this view of the sun going down just had to pull over and take a picture.

:: We had a power outage for a few hours yesterday. These happen with annoying frequency where we live. I cope better now that I have my Coleman stove, since I know I can still have a cup of tea even if there isn't any electricity.

:: When I was in Spokane in October I found a great deal on a pair of flannel-lined jeans at the Eddie Bauer outlet store. I've wanted a pair of flannel-lined jeans for ages, and had I known how warm and comfortable they are I would have bought some decades ago. I must admit that due to the extra thickness they do make my legs look a bit like tree trunks, but at least they are warm tree trunks.




:: Rebekah and I got together last week to plan the food for Christmas. Ella's favourite "toy" is a cardboard box that has a string attached. She knows Nana is a soft touch, and will pull her around endlessly. Or until I get dizzy and need to sit down for a bit.

:: If you are in the market for some good books for children I highly recommend the Orange Marmalade blog. She does wonderful reviews of children's books, and I've discovered many a great book through her blog.




:: I have no idea what these three were looking at. I was sitting on the window seat behind them, knitting away on Christmas gifts, and happened to look down and see them all staring intently ahead.




:: I know I show a lot of pictures of our mountains, but it seems like they are constantly changing.




:: I know I also show probably way too many pictures of the lake, but it also changes dramatically with each season. Leading up to Christmas the residents at Lindell beach put a tree up on one of the docks, all strung with lights. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it in the evening when it's all lit up.




:: The Arctic outflow has painted the beach with ice. I walked down a couple days ago to get some pictures of the ice formations for my blog, but it was so cold my phone shut down. So yesterday I drove down, and placed my phone inside one of the thrummed mittens I made a few years ago. It kept it toasty warm, and I would quickly pull it out, take a picture, then stuff it back into the mitten until I was ready to use it again.

:: I'm sure by now most of you will have seen this Christmas video out of Poland, but just in case you might have missed it here's a link. Warning. You might want to grab a tissue before viewing.

:: I'm not even close to being ready for the holidays, and felt a bit panicked this morning when I realized that two weeks from today there will be fourteen people arriving. I haven't done any baking, there's all that unfinished knitting, and I need to start stockpiling food. Yikes! How about you? Are your preparations going well? And am I the only one madly trying to finish making gifts?

23 comments:

  1. Ella looks so sweet in her box...it is a chilly frosty day out there today.
    I have been knitting a lot of gifts too...my hands are going to need a holiday after I finish!
    Seasons Greetings to you and your family.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking next year I need to cut back on the gift knitting a bit. I thought I had it under control, then decided to add some knitted toys. That was my downfall. I hope your hands get a nice rest after the holidays. Merry Christmas to you and your family too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are wonderful, never tire of your view. We had snow one time here, didn't hardly stick, but it paralyzed the entire region. Not ready for Christmas, broken arm has slowed me, but not stopped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably much like Vancouver where you live in terms of snowfall. :-)

      I hope your arm is healing nicely. There's never a good time to have a broken arm, but the Christmas season has to be about the worst.

      Delete
  3. I love your pictures and hearing all about what is going on with you, the family and the news... Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Peg! I'm glad you enjoy it. :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! This reminds me I need to blog, but I've hit a busy stretch and don't have the energy at the end of the day.
    The holidays are always really busy for us, in part because my daughter's birthday is in mid-December (she'll be 9 on Wednesday) and my birthday is right after Christmas, plus we always have long trips OR long visits from family during the holidays since no one is close by. It's exhausting. I'm already feeling burnt out, which isn't fair because I love my family and festivities but I'm stretched too thin at the moment and don't really have a chance to recharge before the new year.
    We'll be getting several inches of snow, maybe as much as 10", this weekend so perhaps being forced to stay inside (or at least not to drive anywhere because even in Wisconsin 10" is a lot of snow to get at once) will help out with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your description of feeling burnt out but also loving your family and the festivities perfectly describes me as well. I hope you are able to find a good balance between all the work that is involved, and the joy of celebrating with your family. Happy Birthday a few weeks early, and enjoy your snow!

      Delete
  5. You are blessed living in such a beautiful part of the world. Unfortunately we are not a nation for been prepared for the snow, a large downfall and the country grounds to a halt. I suppose that is because it doesn't happen very often over here in the UK. It never ceases to amaze me the fascination with boxes, we should just give our Grandchildren a pile of boxes for Christmas they would love it. It as a beautiful photo. Take care and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vancouver has the same problem the UK does. It doesn't snow very often, so when it does happen everyone falls apart. And yes, I think our grandchildren would probably be just as happy with a nice assortment of boxes for Christmas as toys. At least the little ones would be! :-)

      Delete
  6. I can never see enough beautiful pictures like yours. I can only imagine what it must be like living in such a cold place. We too grind to a halt after the first flake of snow :) B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! We both grew up on the North Shore in Vancouver, and when it snows -even a little bit- it's complete pandemonium!! Honestly ! You are wise to stay home as you are taking g your life into your hands with all the crazy drivers! We laugh when it's going down to freezing there the news stations start screaming Artic Outflow- severe winter conditions !!! I never tire of your lake and mountain pictures, they are beautiful. I think I'd be pulling Ella around too a lot. No I'm not the least bit ready for Christmas - my knitting list is getting pared down and I should know better to leave it so late ... again. You have a big happy bunch coming in- so what happens will
    Be perfect - just enjoy all those beautiful grandchildren!! It's great to see a blog post from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo with Ella in her box is very sweet. I remember pulling Sam along in a banana box, he loved it.
    It must be frightfully cold if even your camera stops working! Wishing you a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos of the lake and mountains, the more the merrier! and yes as mamasmercantile the u.k. comes to a standstill if we have a few inches of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your post very much. Ella is adorable, and I love the photos of the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You couldn't show us too many pictures of your lake and mountains. Keep them coming, Kristie!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is no such things as too many pictures of mountains and lakes!
    Love the "toy" that your granddaughter enjoys. Reminds me of cats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a bit panicked myself, but after viewing your beautiful photos I am feeling a bit more peaceful. I grew up in Michigan, total snow, rare sow days you know the drill. When I move to Virginia I was shocked when they canceled school and work when it was predicted to snow, not one flake had fallen from the sky and everyone was in a tizzy. It made me laugh until I actually saw how those people drove in the snow, it all made sense after that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can never do too many photos of your beautiful lake! As for the animals, if Poetry (my cat) acts interested in something outside, Gabriel immediately gets interested, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. when we lose power it's for hours because we are not a priority. It sort of irks me and while I have no power I want a generator but once the power is back on I forget my want of a generator :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. All is beautiful Kristie; the snow, the mountains, the lakes. Keep 'em coming!
    Yes, panic time here as well, two weeks til about 12-14 people coming here. Not organised at all, ho hum. Ella in the box is beyond cute, so adorable. And your animals brought a happy smile to my face, so funny, and I remember when we had a cat and a dog, seeing them at the top of the stairs doing the same thing. Happy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those ice flows look amazing and those are beautiful images of the lakes and the mountains. I am just the same with the sea the scenery is constantly changing. It's the simple things and having human interaction that produces the favourite things to play with. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those kids are amazing... can make such a games/toys out of the simplest thing... why do we ruin their imagination?
    As for snow and winter... you know how I cannot stand either (Florida, oh, how I miss you), but those pictures are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete