Saturday, December 14, 2013

Looking Brighter

Thursday turned out to be one of those days that was death by a thousand cuts. The kind where it isn't one major thing that does you in, but, rather, dozens of little ones. It was my regularly scheduled shopping day and I had several extra stops added to the list of regulars, so I knew it was going to be challenging.

I tried to go into it with a positive attitude, and I really think I succeeded for about the first four stops. One of the things I was looking for was a box of the special candles that fit into our angel chimes. This was a maddening thing to have on my list in the first place, since I already own two boxes of these candles, one in red and the other in white. And, in one of those moments of "old house clarity" I have experienced multiple time since moving to our cottage, I knew exactly where they were. In our old house.

They lived in a drawer in a piece of furniture we no longer own. The items we kept in those drawers are now packed up in boxes, stuffed deep within our crawlspace. This basically means those little candles are buried alive, like all the other victims in the boxes labelled Misc. Stuff. (Hint: if you move do not label a single box as Misc. Stuff.)

Let's fast forward to stop number six. Not only did I still not have angel chime candles, I hadn't managed to get to the food purchasing part of my trip to town yet. My positive thoughts were becoming as elusive as those blasted candles I couldn't find. Ten stops later I had food, but no candles and no good thoughts. Not a single one.

We have a shed attached to the side of our cottage, and when I got home I went into it to put a few things in the freezer. On a mood rating scale of one to ten I was hovering around a zero. That is when I noticed that both bags of potatoes and the two butternut squash I had stored there had frozen in our recent cold snap. Lesson learned - I can't keep food in the storage shed in the winter.

The potatoes went straight to the garbage, but I decided I could probably salvage the squash. I set about making this squash soup recipe, which I highly recommend. While preparing the squash I somehow managed to flip the spoonful of seeds I had just scraped out of the centre, sending both seeds and squash entrails flying. The result looked like a food fight had just broke out in my kitchen.

I cleaned up that mess, then went to get the butter out of the fridge. I needed to melt a bit to rub the top of the rather oddly textured thawed out squash. When I cut a chunk of butter something happened - I still have no idea what - and the chunk of butter fell down. As it fell it managed to break into bits, leaving a greasy trail all the way down the front of the cupboard door on its messy way to the floor, where it sat in a malicious lump.

This is not a comprehensive list of Thursday's woes. It's a sampler. It turned out to be the kind of day that you know there is only one cure for - bedtime. As usually happens, when I got up the next morning the world seemed a bit brighter, in spite of the fact it was a grey and rainy day. When I took Fergus out for an early morning walk, I spotted this. I love how the individual drops of water light up these branches.


I finally finished my pair of traveling socks, and as I sat on the couch Kitchener stitching the final toe, I realized the colours of the socks were a perfect match for the bright lights on our Christmas tree.


Jay had to go to town yesterday, so I assigned him the task of checking out the remaining stores I had on my list of "angel chime candle hopefuls." In a move reminiscent of days gone by, he did something that had not once occurred to me. He pulled out the phone book and called around until he found a shop that carried them. It took less than five minutes. I'm trying not to be bitter.

36 comments:

  1. Oh that just sounds like a frustrating day, it is amazing how one thing piles up after another and before you know it your mood just snaps. Here is to a better day and more beautiful socks.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has been very nice, and I have just cast on for a new pair of mittens. :-)

      Delete
  2. Those are really nice socks! I feel compelled to ask...how many pairs of handmade socks do you own? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to your question is I'm not really sure. More than three pairs but fewer than thirty. :-)

      I did a sock cull before we moved and got rid of all the old ones that were on their last legs. And I have given quite a few to Alex, and I knit some for gifts. So not every pair you see goes into my sock basket (although, truth be told, quite a few do find their way there).

      Delete
  3. don't you just hate it when they do something so simple, bet he gave you a look too. Great socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a day! And sometimes it can start out just fine....glad things look brighter and I'm sure you're not bitter, really. (Grrr.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be a little bitter. I can't believe I didn't think of phoning before I tried all those shops. Ugh. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh such a frustrating day Kristie, and they do tend to happen just before Christmas I find. Bed is definitely the answer as next day, such pretty pictures you found. Love the red branches, and the purple sox and bauble combo. I do love a colour match. Here's to practical husbands, who balance out our flights of fancy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right - these kinds of days are much more likely right before Christmas. I think it's because we are trying to get too much down in too short of a time. I wish I could have done a better job capturing the branches - it was even prettier in person than in the picture.

      Delete
  6. Those days are so hard. I had three in a row last week. I wanted to crawl in a hole. My days turned around and I'm glad yours did too. Your socks look so good, the colors are gorgeous. And I am very impressed with your husband's practicality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three in a row - oh my. You have my sympathies. And I am like you. When these kinds of days happen I just want to crawl in a hole. Or my bed with a good book. :-)

      Delete
  7. I came home after a long shopping day to be greeted by
    Did you remember the....
    Moment of panic befofre realising it was not even on my shopping lost and he had only just thought if it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been greeted by the same thing. It's rather scary, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh < those moments of "old house clarity"> I have them all the time! I moved 6 yrs ago and 14 before that and can now find things in my head in 3 places often before I remember where to find them here! The only good thing is that items seem to have acquired complimentary companions over the years that seem to want to stay together and that helps to find them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Ha! I think it was made worse with this last move because we downsized so much. At least I'm only going back one house in my mind. Poor you going back through your last three!

      Delete
  9. aaah, i don't believe it, you have angel chimes too! I too have also almost run out of the candles for the angel chimes, and seeing as how my chimes were bought in another country (Sweden), about 20 years ago, I am not holding out much hope of finding such candles here in Limerick Ireland, maybe I should just send this tiny broken-off-accidentally piece of candle which I have, to my MIL in Sweden and ask her to source 2 boxes for me. I can pick them up from her next summer, in plenty time for next Christmas......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to have your MIL in Sweden pick some up for you! I realized after I wrote the post that most people probably don't even know what angel chimes are, so I was happy to see you actually own some. Maybe you will be lucky though and find some in Limerick - you never know!

      Delete
  10. I had a good laugh at your expense this morning, sorry! Some days there is no cure but bedtime is right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth in Ontario, CanadaDecember 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

    That's funny about knowing where something was in the previous house because it happened to me yesterday (also not a great day, perhaps because of the falling barometric pressure in advance of a snowstorm?). In my case it was the big sheet of heavy plastic we used to use to line the inside of the car when we buy the Christmas tree. I could visualize it in the laundry room closet of the house we moved out of last summer...well, we got the tree yesterday but had to settle for an old blanket in the trunk as we never did find the plastic! Now it's going to bug me because I'm not even sure if it got packed and moved. Lovely socks, and sooo colour-coordinated! 'Tis the season for soothing knitting projects, no???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating, isn't it? And like you, I'm not sure if we packed the candles or threw them away. But then I keep asking myself, why would I have thrown them out since they are something we use every Christmas? No doubt both your sheet of plastic and my candles will turn up the minute the holidays are over. :-)

      Delete
  12. I have days like this too, you need to go and look at your wonderful mountain and lake! I'm glad Jay managed to find the candles without too much trouble!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like you prescription, Sarah! Maybe that's part of the trouble. The beautiful mountains have more or less disappeared behind thick rain clouds. :-)

      Delete
  13. I love my bed. My daughter is the same and don't need too much of an excuse to go there. This time of year seems to get more stressful as the years go by. I have many of these kind of days and am now quite looking forward to getting back to normal after Christmas as much as I love it!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to bed at night with my iPad and a good book on my Kindle is my favourite part of the day, especially in the winter. As far as Christmas goes, it can be stressful, can't it? I have done quite a few things to reduce the stress, and have been fairly successful. There is no getting around the need to shop though, and with five kids and three daughters/son-in-laws staying here for several days, it is a massive undertaking. I hope you are able to enjoy the holiday season without taking on too much. Have you recovered from your fall?

      Delete
  14. What a day you had, glad you founds your candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most annoying thing is I'm quite sure the candles we already owned will turn up the minute Christmas is over. :-)

      Delete
  15. Ahh, what a day. I hope things turned for the better.
    And those are soe great socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peony! It's nice to hear from you. How are things going?

      Delete
  16. I'm glad that day didn't turn into a week. I'm at what I hope is the end of that type of week (it might be 10 days now though).

    Phone book? I miss those. I always made good use of the maps section--which annoyed my wife for some reason. She is much happier with GPS guiding her...I prefer maps so I know where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you have had 10 "death by a thousand cuts" kind of days. At that point I think you might be moving towards amputation territory rather than mere cuts. :-)

      And I'm with your wife. Give me a GPS over a map any day. We might not know where we are, but at least we know how to get there. Ha!

      Delete
  17. As I read this I found myself thinking, "Been there, done that." I feel so frazzled when I have a day like that. Glad things got better for you the next day.

    I love Lucy's sweater -- she's going to be so cute in that. Well, she's cute in anything, but you know what I mean. Your socks are pretty too. I'm one of the rare knitters who loves to do kitchener stitch. It's almost like meditation for me. I should rent my kitchener services out to other sock knitters and make some extra Christmas money, lol.

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday with lots of quality time together, Kristie. Looking forward to a great 2014 for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim! I hope you have a wonderful holiday too. Have you spotted any Snowy Owls yet?

      Delete
    2. Yes, just today! Check out my new blog post for pics and details of my fabulous day.

      Delete
  18. There are some days we should just have stayed in bed and this was obviously one of them. :-) I do feel for you as I know just how frustrating they can be. Those lovely socks must have made you feel better, though. Good luck with the rest of the planning and preparing.

    ReplyDelete