Sunday, December 8, 2013

Beautiful British Columbia

In her latest post my blogging friend Kate said, "There are times this place takes my breath away. Times I am overcome and unable to believe this is where I live, that this is my daily luck, my never-ending backyard." She perfectly summed up how I feel about this place I call home. I love my little cottage, nestled in the woods and surrounded by mountains. But this is just one little corner of a very big province, and the amazing thing is the rest of this province is every bit as beautiful. Vancouver Island is no exception. Here's part two of my Victoria adventure.

We bundled up and went for a walk along the waterfront near Karsten and Diana's home. It almost looks like I'm back in Shetland!



There was a yarn crawl. I'm fairly certain Lucy is going to be a knitter, so she might as well start inhaling wool fumes at a young age. Some people might call this indoctrination, but I prefer to think of it as education.



We drove out to Goldstream Provincial Park to take in the very end of the salmon run. The tree Karsten, Diana and Lucy are standing in front of was huge, but there were even bigger ones sprinkled throughout the park. There were seagulls everywhere, feasting on the carcasses of dead fish.



We went to Merridale Ciderworks and I got to do a cider tasting. It was fun, and better yet, the cider was every bit as good as Jean's beloved Weston's.


I think Lucy is going to be an outdoors kind of girl. She loves being bundled up and going for walks. Diana had been wanting to go to Kinsol Trestle, so we made that the last stop of our day trip. The sun was starting to go down, so it was hard to get good pictures.


Squeezed in between all of our outings was the thing I most enjoyed while on Vancouver Island. Lucy time. Lots and lots of it, but at the same time not nearly enough.


Unbelievably, on the return ferry ride I got one of the coveted three front places again! It was a beautiful day, but absolutely freezing. I quickly took this picture as we sailed away. That's Mt. Baker in the distance.



My adventure finished at my friend Ellen's home, where they were celebrating the last day of Hanukkah.


I hope you don't mind that I split my trip into two posts. So much happened in the six days I was away that there was no way I could do it justice in a single post. From the very start when I met the Ferry Lady, to the dinner out with the publisher and other authors, the book launch, the time spent with family, exploring a bit of Vancouver Island, and finishing with a Hanukkah lunch, it was perfect. Every single moment. (Well, okay, maybe not that bit where I had to stand up in front of people and talk.) Shalom.

36 comments:

  1. I feel that I live in quite a nice place, surrounded by water and hills and the medieval city of Chester close by, but oh my goodness, you win hands down!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many beautiful places in the world Kathy, and I think you live in one of them. It's a different kind of beautiful where you live than here in BC, but both are lovely places to call home.

      Delete
  2. Its never too early to start a yarn addiction! She really is growing fast. That view from the lake is breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue! My knitting educational program started early with the Baby Surprise Jacket, and now that I have taken her to a yarn shop I will have to move another step forward in the training process. I'm not sure what that will be - maybe a pet sheep?? Ha!

      The water in the picture is actually the ocean!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post. I loved seeing bits and pieces of where you live. That trestle is so interesting, I would love to see it someday. I feel fortunate to live in a beautiful place too. It's not perfect but the good things outshine the bad ones. I'm so glad you're getting to spend lots of time with Lucy, especially with her first Christmas coming. Good job taking her to the wool store. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! That's one of the things I like most about the blogging world, and all the people I have met through it. You get to see so many different places and learn about so many different things. I always love the glimpses of the Southwest I get when I read your blog. It's a very beautiful place!

      Delete
  4. Ruth in Ontario, CanadaDecember 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

    Kate's words exactly describe how I feel about our home, too -- aren't we fortunate to have found our "belonging places". Hooray for grandma introducing Lucy to the love of yarn early in life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about wool fumes....delicious! I like the smell of real wool and even of acrylic. I'm a cheap date!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know there are actually some people who think wool smells bad? It's hard to imagine!

      Delete
  6. You saw some great parts of the lower island! And twice at the front of the ferry?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't mind me quoting you on my blog. :-)

      Can you believe I got the front of the ferry twice?! I know you understand what a big deal that is since you have been on it numerous times.

      Delete
    2. I was flattered!

      And yes, I totally get it! We were on the front heading over for our big Northern BC trip in 2012, it's a totally different experience really. I've been at the back more times than I care to count!

      Delete
  7. With such gorgeous scenery, plus coast and Lucy and yarn, you've enough material for half a dozen posts, never mind just two. :-) Gosh, she's growing into little girldom very quickly. Where's that starter knitting kit then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the starter kit will have to wait for a few years. In the meantime I will keep making wool clothes for her to wear, buy her a few nice stories about knitting, and maybe buy her a stuffed sheep if I can't get her parents to agree to me giving her a real one. :-)

      Delete
  8. I always marvel at the beauty you are surrounded by! I love being able to share it, if only virtually!

    It seems obvious to me that there is a distinct look of bliss on Lucy's beautiful little face at the yarn shop... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funniest thing about Lucy at the yarn shop was that she eventually fell asleep, and when she did she kept smiling in her sleep. A sure sign of a future knitter if ever there was one!

      Delete
  9. I live in the likewise gorgeous Chemainus in an incredible home with an ocean view. We are hoping to move back to the Interior in the spring because all our little "Lucys are there." But I must say Vancouver Island must be the most beautiful place on earth. Linda McG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be hard to leave such a beautiful place, Linda, but I'm also sure you are very anxious to be closer to all those precious grandchildren!

      Delete
  10. Looks like you have been really busy having lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this grandparent thing is a blast! :-)

      Delete
  11. It looks like you had a wonderful trip, and yay to lots of lovely Lucy time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing is there is more Lucy time coming up in a couple of weeks when they arrive here at our cottage for Christmas! :-)

      Delete
  12. Of course Lucy is going to be a knitter, and an outdoors girl, Kristie. Is there any doubt?? The views of the sea are beautiful, especially with Mt Baker in the background. I do hope I get to visit Vancouver Island some time - I just know I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Vancouver Island! On one of your trips to Canada to visit family you should book a flight out West and do a bit of exploring in our neck of the woods. It's very different than Eastern Canada. We don't have cardinals, but we have many other very nice birds and wildlife. :-)

      Delete
  13. Yo can split your trip into ten posts if you keep on showing beautiful pictures of your adventures and of course of darling Lucy. And she must be a knitter, so expose her to lots and lots of yarn fumes.

    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my plan - get her addicted to wool fumes at a very early age! :-)

      Delete
  14. Such a lovely post Kristie, full of beautiful pictures and fabulous places. So glad you enjoyed some girlie time with Lucy. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. I hope you are recovering from your fall. That sounded like a horrible experience!

      Delete
  15. It's lovely to see some more of BC it looks such a beautiful place. My great grandmother ended up in Vancouver had had quite a hard life there living there, and bringing up a child up on her own. It must have been hard to tear yourself away from Lucy.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BC is beautiful, but it's also beautiful where you live. Your pictures on your blog always make me want to hop on a plane and come for a visit! That's interesting that your great grandmother ended up in Vancouver. Maybe it could be the topic of a future blog post??

      Delete
  16. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see that the cider isn't available to purchase where I live. I'm always on the hunt for a new, better cider! :-D I guess I will have to make my way to Vancouver. It certainly looks well worth while. The scenery you captured is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you can't buy the cider where you live, Michelle. If it makes you feel any better the closest retail outlet to me is about 45 minutes away, so I am doing a bit of hoarding with the cider I bought when I was at the distillery. If you stop by my cottage I'll share. :-)

      Delete
  17. The mid-Atlantic area has many interesting sights (and sites), but can't match the beauty of BC. I'm guessing folks wouldn't mind if you wanted to do a third post with pics from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever been to the mid-Atlantic area of the US (I know, shame on me). It is on my "some day" list though. I've seen pictures though, and it looks quite pretty. Perhaps they photoshopped them. :-)

      Delete
  18. This wonderful planet of ours holds so much that is beautiful and astonishing and awe inspiring ... oh to live long enough to see it all, including BC!

    ReplyDelete